Audio Technica ATLP120 turntable
Quality USB turntable – Review.
The Audio Technica ATLPX120 turntable is a professional USB turntable which includes 78 rpm speed for those of you who want that feature. You will need a good cartridge and stylus for 78’s so I would recommend the Shure M78S (Available on eBay). Not many turntable are being fitted with 78 these days so this is a great feature to have on a such a high quality deck.
The ATLPX120 comes with Audacity Audio Editing Software (for mac or PC which would be free to download anyway) which is a comprehensive editor. You might find there is a bit of a learning curve to using it if you’re not familiar with Audio Editors, so it’s worth considering Spin It Again (PC only) or Golden Records (mac or PC) which are wizard driven and easy to use, and of course include excellent noise reduction plugins.
The ATPX120 comes with a ATP-2 cartridge which is ok, but you may want to upgrade this at some stage. Maybe a Shure M97 (may be difficult to get now) or such like would be a good choice. I’ve used these in the past and I like them.
Here are some Technical Details
- Selectable internal stereo phono preamplifier and USB connection to your Mac or Windows computer. This enables you to plug directly into a computer with the USB cable or plug into your existing hi-fi amp using the phono preamplifier output sockets on this turntable.
- Direct-drive, high-torque motor; includes professional cartridge and headshell
- Selectable 33-1/3, 45, and 78 rpm speeds; +/-10 percent or +/-20 percent pitch adjust; high-accuracy quartz-controlled pitch lock
- S-shaped tone arm assembly with adjustable counterweight, antiskate adjustment, tone-arm height adjustment and lock
- Includes USB cable and Mac- and PC-compatible Audacity software